Monday 13 February 2012

Looking Forward to Spring

The snow is hopefully on its way out, as we have high pressure bringing us some Atlantic weather rather than dragging in cold continental air, so the forecast is for temperatures up above freezing. It means rain too, but hey, can't have everything! I got to work in the garden over the weekend as the chaotic mix of privet, winter jasmine and bramble was looking dreadful outside my front door, so it had to go:



I didn't take a 'before' photo as it was a it of a spur of the moment decision but take it from me, it was a mess. So, I now have some space to plant some new plants, and given the proximity of the beehive, I'll focus on pollinator plants, although really I feel if you're going to plant plants at all, they may as well be pollinator ones. I bought some Cobaea scandens seeds from Sarah Raven which can romp away to 6 metres, so I will sow some of those in trays this afternoon and see if they germinate. I've not been particularly impressed with Ms Raven's seeds so I'll see how they do. She produces a very attractive catalogue though!

When Nicky and I made lavender bags a few weeks ago, we used the dried seedheads from my Mum's plant, and there were lots of tiny seeds at the bottom of the storage jar. I popped these in to some compost and I was pleasantly surprised to see some tiny green shoots this morning:


I have been reading my book about biodynamic gardening, and it's certainly intriguing. I've a chart that gives times for sowing and tending different groups of plants (flower, root, leaf and fruit) and I am going to try and stick to it. I quite like having restrictions actually so if nothing else it will prevent me feeling overwhelmed by the needs of the garden! A lot of people garden according to the lunar cycles as it affects groundwater in the same way as the tides, but biodynamic is another step on from that. It's easy to scoff but I think there is so much about the planet and its workings that we don't understand, I'm happy to give things a go, especially as so many aspects of our relationship with the soil and plants and the natural environment as a whole is out of alignment. So, this afternoon is a time to focus on flowers. Maybe some cosmic influences will enhance the germination rate of the highly-marketed seeds I was seduced in to buying! I'll let you know...

My granny squares have been transformed in to a cover for my wicker basket:


I am really really pleased with it :-) I would have loved a big blanket but realistically, the rush of enthusiasm had slowed to a trickle, and at least with this I will use it all the time (plus I have lots of lovely blankets already). I have a few squares left over, so I am thinking of making a wool-insulated bottle jacket, but that's still gliding around in my head at the moment, waiting to become a proper idea that I can work with. I did a picot edging and the picture doesn't show it, but I have buttons at the handles, so it can be taken off, to possibly make an impromtu picnic cloth? I find wicker baskets so handy as I often carry boxes of eggs and food and drinks, as well as knitting, so they would get squashed up in a bag. It's a shame Glyndebourne is too highbrow a venue for the likes of me; reckon it would go down a treat.

It's half term so I made bagels and muffins. I was given a friendship cake starter, but having given a portion out to two of my friends, I couldn't think of who else would want it so I'm keeping it for myself! I know that is really not the point of it at all but I figure people would rather I took them a batch of cakes. The recipe suggests an addition of apple and cinnamon to the batter, but this morning I put in some grated carrots and a cup of walnuts instead to ring the changes. They are delicious.


The girls are playing with their fairy theatre and singing along to their favourite songs, as well as practising for Oliver! as part of their Stagecoach performance. T is in bed reading his Bernard Cornwell for a third time, and luckily I was so late getting breakfast I'm hoping it will sort of count as lunch too so I can be relieved of that duty!

No comments:

Post a Comment