Thursday 28 November 2013

Cleaning and Crowing

I thought I'd prepare for Jo's arrival today by cleaning out the fridge, as she said she'd tackle the kitchen this week. After the sofa last week I felt it was the least I could do, so when I got back to find she'd done behind the fridge I realised I was fighting a losing battle. Anyway, it looks very shiny and clean, and despite my eyes smarting from the bleach fumes it has inspired me to tidy up the dining room, which I ambitiously call my study/workroom. Having domestic help is a bit like being married to both a houseproud husband AND wife: half of me feels "Oh no! Look at the state of the lounge - I'd better wipe the table" and another half feels "Wow, look at those taps! You've done a fantastic job..." I'm probably getting the best of both worlds.

I did wait until after Jo had left before I brought Emu in to the kitchen to give him his anti-inflammatories. He's looking much better and squaring up to the other cockerels when they goad him through the wire rather than running back inside. He came out of the broody coop for a constitutional this morning. He can't stand upright in there as he's so large, and has to crow by stretching his neck horizontally which gives an interesting tone to his vocals.


His matching wives, Emily and Mary, are currently running out with Simba and his two, as Emu is on erm, 'restricted duties' due to his poorly foot. Simba seems unsurprisingly thrilled with the arrangement, and thankfully adultery, bigamy, trigamy and anything else is all taken in good heart so everyone's happy.

The girls are now making a cake - in my clean kitchen. They've promised to tidy up afterwards...

No comments:

Post a Comment