Monday 20 October 2014

Sourdough, and a Duck

In the same way that spring triggers a hormonal response in my call ducks, the reduced light and cooler weather of autumn subtly changes me. No longer do I want to spend every waking hour in the garden or outside; painting, baking, reading and knitting become my activities of choice.

Having discovered this recipe from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall thought I'd resurrect the idea of a starter to ring a change from the regular bread I usually make (I can't bear sliced supermarket bread although the children love it. Why??) and even though my previous attempts a few years ago weren't terribly successful, well - nothing ventured etc. I do sometimes struggle with the idea of yet another thing to look after and try and keep happy and content with daily ministrations but this recipe gives some hints as to how to forgo that occasionally so I can have a few days off from parenting a jar of fermenting gloop...

Of course, the first go is always going to be tricky and I realised it has a whole different rhythm to regular bread so didn't complement my other baking I was doing regarding oven use and me having to go out at one point but - BUT! I followed the recipe exactly, no short cuts or 'clever' ideas, and wow, it is just like sourdough! I'm thinking a proving basket would be a nice Christmas present now.

Just out of the oven

Cut to reveal texture
(And so I could eat the crust slathered with butter)
I was really pleased!

With less demands on the poultry and bee front (although I am putting together a Beehive Adoption plan to roll out next year - more of that on my other blog, WaywardBee) I've picked up my watercolours again. I love painting, largely because as yet I don't have any sort of neurotic perfectionist agenda with it and simply enjoy the process. I copy photos, am seriously lacking in any technical ability and never plan or think through what I'm trying to achieve. I get so absorbed in observing what I'm painting though and have some excellent watercolours which are a pleasure to work with so despite the lack of frame-able results I can easily spend an hour happily entertained and still feel pleased with what I've managed to produce:


No comments:

Post a Comment