Thursday 26 January 2012

Egg-citement

I discovered an egg in Joanna and Llywelyn's run today, so the day length is now officially long enough to stimulate call duck egg production :-) It's my first duck egg so I was really pleased. She laid it right on the mud rather than in the house but it scrubbed up alright once I'd armed myself with a damp paper towel:

Peggy egg for scale
Before you ask, no, I won't be hatching any, unless by some miracle either Jean or Joanna decides to go broody which they are not known for! They can be incubated under a hen (or indeed in an incubator) but I'd rather keep it natural. A shame though, as ducklings are the most impossibly cute little things in the world. I will try to sell some as hatching eggs though as call ducks are quite popular due to their diminutive size.

I've rearranged all the poultry pens to give them a change of scenery, and this prompted me to then tidy up my sewing box as I'd found a load of compartmentalised trays in the garden (?) so again, having washed the mud and hen footprints off them, Rosie helped me sort out my button and thread stash:


As you can see, the heated airer provides a very useful surface on which to rest things - this is why I can't have an ironing board, as it just gets colonised by random stuff. I also got started on a project using this Rowan Kidsilk Haze yarn:


I love the green, and it's working really well. Another thing that is working is the welly rack (sorry, the pic's a bit overexposed but the sunshine must've shocked my camera):


This evening I am going to sort out my seeds in to chronological sowing order and also stick my new biodynamic charts at the front of each month's divider. Biodynamic gardening is new to me (although I have heard of it in the agricultural context) but I'm going to a biodynamic beekeeping event this weekend and I find the whole concept quite intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment