Saturday 3 September 2011

The BM

Having dropped Amber back with her father at 8am, I pootled off to Polegate to catch the train to London. I had been given the book "A History of the World in 100 Objects" for my birthday and I wanted to see the exhibits for real and luckily the British Museum has a special map of the various treasures on display, helpfully numbered according to their place in the book.

I love the British Museum :-)


I went round all the exhibits I wanted to see and even got to hold a real hand axe! Here are a sample of some of my favourite things that I saw:

Cuneiform tablets in clay envelopes!!

The Standard of Ur
Snettisham Gold torc - it's enormous
There's a tiny duck on the spout and when the wine
is poured it runs down a channel under the duck
like a little river

Roman writing

Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of my very favourite things which were the drawings and carvings on bone and ivory from 13,000 years ago and found in France, but here is one of them:


I made my way circuitously back to the Tube station and managed to sit opposite the chattiest person on the train :-/ so I didn't crochet as much of my sunflower as I'd have liked, but I am now very informed about the detailed workings and management structure of PGL camps, courtesy of Liverpudlian Scott, who by his own admission was "a bit of a talker". Hmm.

Anyway I arrived home to a lot of indignant poultry so I let them all out and fed them and refilled water and generally apologised for my neglectful treatment of them.

Nicky arrived for a much needed Guild meeting and over tea, pizza and chocolate caramel shortbreads we discussed knitting, crochet, homeschool and other pleasantries, and also the occasional unpleasantry, such as Julian. I am going to carry on with a garland of autumnal crocheted things and Nicky has a number of projects on the go but Fimo cupcake canes are one we want to try. Nicky gave me some lovely orange slice Fimo buttons which she had made, so I have sewn them on to my craft bag.

A lovely day :-)

1 comment:

  1. I love the British Museum too! And I would really like to have that wine jug with the little ducky on the spout - do you think it would go well with homemade peapod? hee hee!

    ReplyDelete