Wednesday 12 October 2011

Happenings

Well I haven't posted for a while as have been a bit busy getting ready for exams which I was obviously a lot more concerned about than I allowed for, so apologies to those on the receiving end of my tension. It has been a struggle to keep up the momentum with my studying this summer and a few weeks ago I was considering pulling out from the courses. I'm really pleased I didn't and I'm grateful to the people who listened to and supported me as I swung from one decision to another. Anyway, I did ok with my Evolution paper yesterday and the Geology one today, despite the latter being executed with only 6 squares of Dairy Milk! Note to self for future exam checklist: chocolate, pen, calculator, in that order.....

So, I have put away my textbooks so that I can't inadvertantly look at them and see all the mistakes I made in the exam, although I am slightly curious as to who Larson was and what his hypothesis on mantle superplumes actually stated as I completely made it up.

I arrived home after a lovely meal with Charles to find a really tidy house (thanks Ma and Pa) and a box of things:


It's the rock kit for my next module! Now some might feel that it's a bit depressing to arrive back from an exam to find a bundle of stuff for the oncoming year but I'm looking forward to it :-)

I also hung up my autumnal garland above the fireplace:


And then realised I'd forgotten to put on my Red Admiral:


I'll sew it on tomorrow. On the crafting front, I met with Nicky today who is still rather poorly so we had a very calm and quiet impromptu CCG meeting (which is a first) and she kindly loaned me her shorter circular needle so I have a sporting chance of getting Tristan's hat off the mark. I've cast on 104 stitches and I'll have a concerted effort to get it done, mainly because I want to get on and knit my hat and about a million other things having seen what Nicky's been up to!

The animals are well although I had to take Jean to the vet as she wasn't putting any weight on her foot. She's on antibiotics now which I have to syringe into her little beak which I managed single-handedly this morning having squashed her tightly into the crook of my arm. Ah, it's nice to have an excuse for a cuddle even though she can deliver quite a bite with her beak, it's deceptive. She was very good at the vet's and so was the dog, apart from whinging at the lack of attention whilst we were in the consulting room and all the focus was on the duck.

Anyway it is late and I need to try to get all these redundant geology and evolution facts out of my brain having crammed it full over the last couple of weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Firstly, congrats on getting through your exams (although I thought EVERYONE knew what Larson's hypothesis on mantle superplumes was ....). Secondly, if you want to increase your knitting time remember - just go down with some strange, undiagnosable illness which foxes all the doctors and means you can do nothing but knit ...
    Also, sad as it may seem, I'd LOVE to have a look at your rocks - can we incorporate them into the next CCG meeting? :)

    ReplyDelete