Sunday 9 October 2011

New duck house

I let the ducks out into their new run today. They seem to quite like it and John particularly enjoys sitting on the mezzanine looking into his neighbour's run, no doubt appreciating being able to quack authoritatively from on high and eyeball Llywelyn's wife at the same time.





Both households are busy digging tunnels and trenches akin to the Great Escape. They're probably hiding the spoil under that box there and I'll find them all in together one day. I am quite pleased with the run as they are a lot more difficult to make than I think and I always forget how annoying and painful it is affixing chicken wire with staples and my hands always end up in shreds. It must be my female brain, a bit like forgetting how much labour hurts when deciding to have another baby.

Maud is still free range as she gets beaten up by Henry in the big run and Mary if she's in with the chicks so she roams the garden. She managed to lay an egg on the lawn again, honestly she has no shame. I thought chickens were meant to tuck themselves away in private?  I mean even caged hens will now have nesting areas but nope, Maud just stands there in broad daylight, slightly cross-eyed, and lays an egg. And the funny thing is that it stays upright:


Other than that we've sort of done nothing today as I seem to have run into a bit of a metaphorical wall and want to stay in bed all the time. I did walk the dog and sort out the animals and do some food for the children but the rest of the time I've been a bit of a zombie...

No comments:

Post a Comment