Saturday 29 October 2011

Maud, Mary and maggots

Today the girls went off for the rest of the weekend having tidied up the lounge for me before they went, bless them. It wasn't an entirely spontaneous gesture of altruism on their part but hey, I'm all for a little prompting.

So, some free time. I have this dilemma of wanting to get lots of things done while I don't have the interruptions and demands of the children but also wanting to simply sit and enjoy the peace and quiet. 27 hours isn't really that long to cram a fortnight's worth of time to myself so usually it ends up being a sort of melange of underachievement and vague pottering. I must find time to do some studying as advanced under-grad stuff is rather tricky to simply fit in around everything else as my other courses have done, and it needs to be prioritised. Ho hum.

Anyway I've done some knitting; I'm about halfway through the bauble:


which I am really enjoying and I am about two-thirds of the way through this hat although I can't show a pic as it's a present, plus I have cast on some alpaca silk aran to make some mitts to match my hat with the leftover yarn. I have a bit of a needle jam at the moment as about 4 things need 5mm needles.

Time has also been spent in the garden potting on sweet peas, and Charles kindly tidied up all the pots and junk off the grass. It's incredibly mild (why am I knitting all these hats, scarves and gloves??) and everything in the garden is still pushing on and flowering. It's heartening to think that in 4 months time all the plants will be popping up again, and I have planted lots of crocuses and bulbs so I am looking forward to my borders in spring.

Maud seems to be ok; I read that feeding maggots to a bunged up chicken worked wonders so yesterday I braved the fishing tackle shop and bought half a pint of white wrigglers. The gentleman in there was very helpful as I explained that I was a first-time maggot buyer to which his response was a wry smile and "I'd never have guessed..." and asked if I had a receptacle to put them in as they weren't allowed to be sold in bags. I looked rather apprehensively at the main pocket of my purse which seemed to be the only thing that might fit the bill, but he then said they sold little pots for the purpose. So, with relief, I passed over another 80 pence and removed the mental image of me driving home, trying to change gear with them in my cupped hand. I have fed a few to Maud, and she seems a bit perkier today.

Mary is getting very keen to go back in with the big hens, and is madly in love with Henry - she goes all coquettish when he does his wing down, hopping round her routine and if he finds a small morsel and bok-boks, she gallops over fluttering her eyelids. All the older hens ignore him as they know he rarely finds anything of interest and it's all a show, but Mary falls for it every time and Henry takes full advantage of her admiration in the way a cockerel knows best :-/ but it hasn't put her off him.

Yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment