Tuesday 25 October 2011

Morning off

The children are with their dad for a day so I decided to walk the dog at my favourite spot on the South Downs, near Firle, as I also needed some new Garvo chicken food from Middle Farm as I got some for my big hens the other day and they now don't like the boring old pellets. I thought it was only cats that used that ploy?? I remember with our cat that we started off with bog-standard Whiskas and 3 months later, with some well-executed refusals and lofty sneering at his bowl, he had worked his way round to eating Finest Salmon Steaks in a Halibut Jus (on Wednesdays; obviously he couldn't eat the same thing two days running) which cost a fortune. Well, at least the hens lay eggs.

Anyway I first walked Scruff, who was in nth heaven as it was a pheasant bonanza. I say I walked him - I actually walk along the path and occasionally the dog transects my route as he makes his way from one end of the county to another. It was mild but breezy and the skylarks were in good voice.





There was a lot of gorse in flower so the bees of Firle must be doing well:


Having exchanged pleasantries with the owner of the feed shop I tossed up whether to have a cup of tea or was that a bit extravagant. Tea was £1.35 and I had £1.36: decision made. I seem to have hit the tea shop before the half-term hordes:


And I then treated myself to a few foodie bits in the shop (including a beef bone for stock) and also a quince to perfume the house:


It smells divine. I made some chutney yesterday out of a squash, a few courgettes, some onions, and I threw in some dates and ginger too. The apple wine needed bottling as the demi-john was taking up room that I don't have so I have been quite productive:


The ducks are out and I will plant some seeds in the hens' enclosure this afternoon so they have some greenery to peck at. I also need to look at my Dynamic Planet map which is about the size of a double bed for one of the activities for my geology course, so I will ensure the dog's paws are dry and put it out on the lounge floor. I adore my children but it's lovely to have some space and time to move and think, even though my boot room is looking a bit cramped:


There's duck food, chick food, chicken food, chicken corn, dog food, bird seed and peanuts...

1 comment:

  1. What a glorious-sounding day you had. The CCG Go-Slow Campaign is proud! :)

    ReplyDelete