Wednesday 9 November 2011

Poor Maud

It has been a bit of a sad afternoon. We took Maud to the vet who said that impacted crop leads to sour crop, which is usually fatal in chickens, as although it can be treated, it is quite a traumatic process for the chicken to have their crop emptied (their digestive system is most definitely one-way) and then the medication is costly and usually only effective in about 20% of cases; the rest petering out slowly. She was very thin and had gone downhill quite rapidly yesterday, and this morning looked very uncomfortable, so obviously the diagnosis was that it would be the kindest thing to put her to sleep.

The girls were with me, as was Scruff who did not understand the gravity of the situation, but we said our goodbyes and waited for Maud to be returned to us so we could take her home to be buried. I could barely see the keypad to tap in my pin at reception through my tears, it was all very very sad: she was such a dim, friendly hen. Amber of course is/was beside herself but Tristan helped me dig a hole and we buried Maud with some goodbye notes and Amber put some corn in with her for her to eat in heaven.

I have a dentist's appointment tomorrow so in some respects my week is only getting worse, but it does give us an excuse to go past Middle Farm to get a replacement Maud. I tried to persuade Amber that Pippa the chick would grow up to look very similar but needless to say that didn't cut the mustard in the slightest.

So, here are some photos in memory of Maud :'-(




No comments:

Post a Comment