Monday 21 November 2011

Powercut

I was pulled up from a deep sleep at 4am by Rosie, who was worried as it was so dark. Ah, forgot to turn the nightlight on, but no, it was a powercut. Again. It had gone off at 1am according to the timer on the immersion heater, so the night storage heaters were cold, as was the water out of the hot tap, and a phone call to the emergency power people said that they didn't know what time it would get fixed. I had genuinely earmarked the day for housework but couldn't do any without hot water and power...such a shame :-) So, after some studying, where I finally sorted out my harzburgite from my lherzolite (mantle peridotites) I picked up my hook and needles and set to with some Christmas decorations.

Having seen Nicky's wonderful creations, I did some mini mitts:


A sprig of crocheted mistletoe:


A tiny Santa hat from a blog called naturalsuburbia:


And a mini Christmas pud decoration from PlanetJune's blog:


It's quite dinky and I really like it.

It hasn't been total neglect on the parenting front; T had a new Conn Iggulden book from Charles for his birthday - Wolf of the Plains, about Genghis Khan - so he stayed in bed for the morning reading that, and Amber unearthed her Usbourne 50 Science Experiments book and played with my iF poetry app, recording herself reading Shakespeare on my iPad. Rose cleaned out the bunny/guinea pig shed and helped Amber with the experiments. We looked at onion DNA, illustrated static electricity with pepper, and of course, made some cornflour gloop:




Ah, I love home-ed!

No comments:

Post a Comment