Monday 29 August 2011

Bills in the morning post...

But bills of the Galliforme variety!

I had been very dubious about the prospects of the little black chick that I helped out of its egg, and when I woke up, I crept downstairs so as not to wake the children, collecting a small box and tissue paper on the way to retrieve the little body for burial.

But I needn't have worried:


I gave an involuntary gasp of joy at seeing a little fluffy cheeping chick. I was so relieved. In rootling around under Mary I found another eggshell, so here's our third chick:


This one was still slightly damp on its wings so I think had only hatched a few hours earlier. It's got a lot more yellow on it so we have a dark chick, a blonde chick and a mixture chick which makes for easy identification. The first chick was looking extremely bonny:


He's starting to explore his environment. I don't know he's a he, but I can't call such a bundle of fluffy cuteness 'it'. The girls, of course, were thrilled. I'm sure Tristan will be sufficiently thrilled to make the journey down to the chicken run too, once he wakes up...



Here's a photo of the chicks' dad, looking splendid and Kelloggs-ish in the morning sun:


Shame about the puny tail feathers. He's probably also trying to suss out whether he can get over the hedge...I saw him and Daisy standing on top of the run yesterday, plotting their escape.

I'm not sure if the last egg has anything in it as there's no pipping or cracks but I'll give it a couple more days if Mary's happy to sit on it. She's being such a good mum, I'm really proud of her.

Last on the list of bills, a pic of the ducks enjoying a late evening nap last night:


Ahh!

No comments:

Post a Comment